50th Anniversary “Winner’s Circle” Clinic COMING IN JANUARY
Our 50th anniversary coaches’ clinic returns in person at the Lansing Center January 13-15. Our speaker lineup is the BEST EVER – featuring Nick Saban, Mel Tucker, Josh Heupel, Tony Annese and dozens of the best HS and college coaches from Michigan and around the country! If you haven’t registered yet, get it done today at
If you haven’t secured hotel accommodations, go to
2021 AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCED
The MHSFCA is proud each year to honor coaches (and others) from around the state for their contributions to the game of football in their communities. Award winners this year include:
- Regional Coaches of the Year
- State Coaches of the Year
- Assistant Coaches of the Year
- All Region Teams
- All State Teams
- Dream Team
- Academic All State (TEAMS)
- Academic All State (INDIVIDUALS)
- Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steve Spicer Team Leadership Award
- Honorary Membership (non-coach contributors to local football programs)
- Jim Crowley Award (coaches honored for their lifetime of contribution to the local football program AND the MHSFCA)
- Fran Herrington Award (Woman contributor to their local football program)
You can see all awards winners at https://www.mhsfca.com/awards/
DEADLINE REMINDER: National Football Foundation HS Academic Excellence Award Information
The deadline for nominating your team for this award is January 14. You received an email from firstname.lastname@example.org on November 11 that gives all the details on this new and prestigious award.
2ND ANNUAL SENIOR SHOWCASE
This event is taking place at Detroit Country Day on Sunday, January 30. Coaches – promote this to your senior players looking for an opportunity to play college football. Over 40 colleges were represented the last time we ran this (in 2019). For more information and registration, go to https://www.mhsfca.com/2nd-annual-senior-showcase/.
PROPOSALS TO MHSAA
The MHSFCA is making the following proposals to the MHSAA in regard to football (from action taken at the fall Board of Directors meeting):
- Exempt special teams plays from the quarter count for the 5-Quarter Rule. This will allow for the best implementation of the rule (preserving sub-varsity programs and player development) and for better player safety).
- Playoff regions should be seeded (not just districts). This will reduce the likelihood of inequitable districts, increase the likelihood of higher playoff point ranked teams getting home games, without significant travel implications.
- Allow Michigan HS players to wear shoulder pads at college camps that use them. This will eliminate Michigan players being at a competitive disadvantage against players from other states.
- Adjust the ejection rule for football players and coaches to 4 full quarters of disqualification; rather than that game and the next game. This will make the ejection penalty more equitable to other sports, which have more contests than football.