MHSCA - Rich Tompkins Multi-Sport Athlete Award
April 6, 2018 04:31 AM
MHSCA Rich Tompkins Multi-Sport Athlete Award Nominations Due April 15th.
We are just days away from the final call for nominations for the fifth year of the MHSCA Rich Tompkins Multi-Sport Athlete Award.
The Michigan High School Coaches Association will present the Multi-Sport Athlete Awards to athletes in Michigan High Schools in the spring of 2018. The original “edition” of the awards was made in the spring of 2014 to recognize the accomplishments of eight (one male and one female from each of the four school classes). The MHSCA recognizes the benefits – and encourages – athletes to participate in a variety of school sports and other school and community activities.
As you know, research shows that:
· A student who participates in one extra-curricular activity will have a higher GPA that a student who does not participate in any extra-curricular activities
· A student who participates in two extra-curricular activities will have a higher GPA than a student who participates in only one.
· A student who participates in 3 extra-curricular activities will have a higher GPA than the student who participates in two.
· *Another study has shown that more than 50% of the NFL Players played more than one sport in high school.
· Each school in state is eligible to submit one female and one male for award. The athlete must have competed in a minimum of three sports for all four years of high school.
· Nominations must be submitted by April 15 of each year.
· One female and one male in each class (A,B,C,D) will be selected as the winner of the award.
· All nominees will be recognized.
· Awards will be presented at senior events for the student’s high school.
For more information contact Mr. Larry Merx, MHSCA President at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Go to MHSCA.org or clink on the link below
The MHSCA endorses multi sports athletes to share their many talents with their schools, teammates, and communities, and enjoy the memories that only can come during high school sports.
2017 Rich Tompkins Multi-Sport Athlete Award Winners
Class A Female- Katelyn Jones, Owosso
Class A Male- William Fealko, Port Huron Northern
Class B Female- Layna Steele, Vicksburg
Class B Male- Brendan Fraser, Notre Dame Preparatory School
Class C Female- Marissa Payne, Concord
Class C Male- Gabe Callery, TC St. Francis
Class D Female- Linnea McDonough, Pentwater
Class D Male-Jacob Martin, Athens Jr./Sr.